Offshoring Jobs 101
As we all know, offshoring seems to be the number one business strategy that firms could think about whenever they want to implement cost-cutting strategies but at the same time still maintain the quality of work that they produce.
In the article entitled Report offers tips to protect your job from offshoring, it talks about the report done by Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) which focuses on the effect of offshoring in terms of employment as well as some tips which could help people from developing countries to be abreast with the growing competition.
Here are some of the results of the study:
- offshoring could affect an estimate of 12-14 million jobs in the U.S.
- offshoring could cause annual losses of 200,000 and 300,000 jobs
- jobs that are subjected to offshoring could include call centers and business processing ones
- 61% – rate of UK firms implementing offshoring work
- 20% – rate of U.S. companies implementing offshoring work
- 15% – rate of German firms implementing offshoring work
- 5% – rate of European firms implementing offshoring work
- 30% – toral rate of the world’s 1,000 largest companies implementing offshoring work
Aside from the statistics mentioned, the report also included tips which could help people in securing their jobs as the offshoring trend continues. These tips include:
- having a good educational background
- learning globally used technologies
- development of teamwork and communication skills
- honing and training one’s skills
These tips are considered important because high-skilled workers are now transferred and most of it are being relocated to developing countries. In order to take advantage of these opportunities, job applicants and students alike should have the basic knowledge needed to fulfill the said job.
Thoughts and Insights
Offshoring is something that you either hate or love. For people that feels hate towards this word, you need to know that this business strategy would indeed stay in the business world and the best thing that you could do is to cope with it. On the other hand, for those people that feels only love for this business strategy, well, you better do something about this love. Though offshoring offers job in developing countries, one should take note that only quality workers are eligible to apply for this position because they are the only ones worthy of such. Students should be able to study their lessons as well because these things are needed to ensure that you are qualified for the job.